The Official home of Ide Hill Football Club
The Official home of Ide Hill Football Club
Home of Ide Hill Football Club - A Charter Standard Club
Home of Ide Hill Football Club - A Charter Standard Club

1st team reports 2017/18

Match Report


by Gary Wright

Welling Park 3 - Ide Hill 3
Kent Count League-Division 1
9 September 2017

South London

Ide Hill went one goal down and then 3-2 up before clumsy defending denied them the three points they were after. Ide Hill looked the more comfortable, assured team but too often conceded possession and gave Welling Park the best of their early chances.

On thirty minutes Ide Hill keeper Mike McKay was drawn out of his area and gave away a foul that Welling Park striker David Conway struck home with aplomb. A goal against the run of play maybe but when chances are offered up the best sides take them. It clearly shook Ide Hill out of their malaise and they struck back immediately when midfielder Jack Edmeads hit the back of the net with a sweetly timed shot from twenty five yards out.

Ide Hill pushed on with strikers' Tom Wright and Callum Heath causing problems and Rob Piper going close as well. With five minutes of the half left Edmeads passed to Wright who pushed the ball on to George Kensell who scored running in from midfield. Two one to Ide Hill at the break.

Plenty of opportunities to build on as the second half started but Ide Hill’s poor defending from set pieces and crosses proved their undoing as Welling Park’s Mark Antoine headed home from distance in the forty seventh minute.
Controversy followed when Ide Hill snappily took a free kick after the referee awarded a foul outside the area and winger Columb Grant wasted no time taking advantage of Welling Park’s poor defensive organisation. While they waited for the referee’s whistle, Grant struck and  the goalie was picking the ball out of the net while his defenders were lining up the defensive wall.

Ide Hill should have pushed on more aggressively and they played well but not consistently enough and Welling Park drew level as Convoy beat Ide Hill defender Luke Steggle to the far post and tap home a long range cross.

Points shared, honours even yet both teams had chances to tie-up the game and will be disappointed to grab a point each.
Team-McKay,  James, Pearson, Alteraic, Steggle, Kensell, Edmeads, McGinn, Piper, Wright, Heath
Subs-Overy, Jackson. Grant. Hallford-Nye
Scorers-Edmeads, Kensell, Grant
League Position- 8th (P2 W0 D1 L1 F4 A5 GD-1 Pts 1)

Match Report


by Gary Wright

Ide Hill 1 Old Bromleians 2
Kent County League-Division 1
2 September 2017

A disappointing beginning to the league campaign as Ide Hill lost by a late goal. They never really exerted their authority or took control of the game and their opponents played with a flourish and drive they struggled to match at times.

Ide Hill keeper Mike McKay was called into action early in the match as Old Bromleians made the breezier start and a combination of their pressure and unforced errors gave them an advantage. Their first goal was given in controversial circumstances. As the ball was played around the edge of Ide Hill’s area it was struck home and a goal given despite Old Bromleians' striker clearly being in an offside position inside the six yard box.

While it is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position it is if a player is interfering with play but the official deemed otherwise and with twenty minutes gone Ide Hill were a goal down. This spurred them on and within five minutes they levelled the score as midfielder Jack Edmeads deftly headed home from a corner. They created chances and in phases played well but were not as coherent or forceful as they will be in future games. 

In the second half the game opened up.  Upfront Ide Hill striker Tom Wright was always on the look-out for chances and went close to scoring, Callum Heath drove forward looking for goals with plenty of back-up from midfielder George Kensell. For their part Old Bromleians also searched for the winner and both teams should have scored plenty more goals but the game switched when they were reduced to ten men as Jamie Treadgold was given his marching orders after a second yellow card.

Ide Hill could not take advantage of the extra man and their opponents scored with ten minutes left despite appeals for offside. Ide Hill pushed on but the equaliser proved elusive and the three points went to their opponents.

Team-McKay, Steggle, James, Pearson, Hallford-Nye, Kensell, Edmeads, Piper, Heath, Wright, Grant

Subs-Overy, Jackson


Bookings, Piper, Pearson, Hallford-Nye

League Position- 9th (P1 W0 D0 L1 F 1 A2 GD -1 Pts 0)

Match Report


by Gary Wright

Ide Hill XI 3 - Sevenoaks Town Reserves 3
12 August 2017

Ide Hill played well to come back from three goals down and Sevenoaks Town Reserves will be disappointed they did not end the game as winners. In a scratchy match Sevenoaks made the brighter start but Ide Hill got their act together in the second half and were the stronger team.

Both sides made a promising start and with their pacy runs the Sevenoaks’ forwards caused Ide Hill’s defence problems for much of the game. For their part Ide Hill took longer than they should to get into the match and conceded possession too often and easily. From one lapse of concentration Sevenoaks broke through and casual defending allowed their opponents to score first after twenty minutes.

Ide Hill had an early chance to level as striker Tom Wright threaded the ball through to midfielder George Kensell who pushed it on to winger Jordan Housell who hit wide of the net.

Gradually Ide Hill eased into the game and created opportunities but not enough threats and it was Sevenoaks who scored again as their static defending allowed them the chance to strike again after thirty minutes and the scoreline stayed two nil when half time came.

Ide Hill regrouped and they cut out much of their earlier poor possession play and closed down their opponents well although Sevenoaks created chances and scored again as Ide Hill keeper Will Martin dived low to his right and played the ball onto the post. As the ball rebounded Sevenoaks reacted quicker and whipped the ball into the net to take a three nil lead early in the second half.

Ide Hill manager Paul McDonagh made substitutions through the use of the roll on-roll off rule and you felt that if Ide Hill scored they looked likely to grow in confidence and strike back. Eventually they broke through in the fifty eight minute when Kensell picked up defender Dan Butterworth’s through ball and slotted home from close range.

Plenty more chances followed and this time Sevenoaks were guilty of poor defending as Grant intercepted a pass and beat the keeper. Ide Hill moved up a gear and although this was not their best preseason performance they were too strong for their opponents and with six minutes remaining Luke Steggle stroked home a cross from Grant to level the score. A good run out for both teams with Ide Hill the happier with the result.

Match Report


by Gary Wright

Ide Hill X1 5 v Ightham 1
5 August 2017

Ide Hill’s second half dominance of the game was the key to their convincing win over Ightham. From being a goal down at half time they swept into the lead at the beginning of the restart and their opponents offered little resistance after that.

Ide Hill’s resolute defence kept the Ightham attack under control with central defenders Phil Alteirac and Luke Steggle linking well with their midfield team mates. For the first twenty minutes the play was all with Ide Hill but when midfielder George Kensell upended his marker in the centre circle they were caught off guard as Ightham took the free kick quickly and their striker saw the opportunity to squeeze the ball pass keeper Mike McKay’s near post.

This added a sense of urgency and bite to Ightham’s play and the game opened up with both teams creating chances. More fell to Ide Hill and Ben Holder’s penetrating corners caused problems in defence but as the game wore on their passing became a little pedestrian. Their build-up play was too laboured and although the forwards led by Tom Wright made several runs their efforts were wasted.

At half time Manager Paul McDonagh’s team talk emphasised the need to push on and play more decisive football, using the pitch space more effectively and to attack with greater purpose. Within two minutes this paid off as Callum Heath equalised for Ide Hill. A second soon followed as defender Dan Butterworth crossed from the left and Heath popped up to head home. He completed his hat-trick when he hit the net from winger Seb Christophers’ low cross. 

Both teams made substitutions in this early season friendly but the momentum stayed with Ide Hill. Billy Cornwall and Peter Dance-Harvey took over the central defensive positions, Steve McGinn settled into midfield alongside Jack Edmeads and Jordan Housell had a stint upfront.

More goals followed as Housell latched on to a mistake by Ightham's keeper who failed to take the ball cleanly and he poked it past him from close range, and in the final minutes Holder’s adept swirling cross from distance again beat the flailing keeper. 

A good runout for both teams and another confident performance from Ide Hill who at this stage of the season are in fine form.

Match Report


by Gary Wright


Ide Hill XI 3 - AFC Bexley 0
29 July 2017

Ide Hill’s opening preseason friendly was an emphatic win over AFC Bexley. Manager Paul McDonagh was pleased with the level of fitness, energy and commitment from all the squad members as they overcame early resistance from their opponents to dominate the game. 

Despite the myriad of chances they created Ide Hill’s understandable lack of match sharpness coupled with a lack of composure in the final third meant the first half was goalless. Up front for Ide Hill Tom Wright, Callum Heath, George Kensell and Rob Piper heaped pressure on AFC Bexley’s defence and it needed a fine goalkeeping performance and a dose of good fortune to keep the scores level.

However, it should have been AFC Bexley who took the lead as midfielder Steve McGinn was adjudged to have tripped his opponent in the fifth minute. Mike McKay saved the day with a superb stop as he lunged to his left and pushed the ball wide. From the resultant melee he saved again and slowly Ide Hill took control, building from the back, controlling the midfield and running riot upfront.

In the second half it was more of the same and with twenty minutes gone Ide Hill finally broke through as Heath scored his first, slotting pass the keeper with ease. Wright had shots well stopped and Piper was always on the lookout for a goal, striking from distance at every opportunity.  

With a further ten minutes gone Heath passed the ball in the penalty area to McGinn who calmly waited for the keeper to commit before he lobbed him and soon after Heath added the third. The scoreline would have been higher but for the referee’s contentious offside calls. Always likely if you opt to officiate without linesmen.

McDonagh was able to give the squad a good runout and midfield debutant Ben Holder made an impressive start. It was a good performance all round with the defence keeping a clean sheet and the benefit of midweek training clear to see. Everyone looked sharp and contributed. It all bodes well for the forthcoming season.


About Ide Hill FC

Ide Hill FC are a charter standard club who play in the Kent County League and the Sevenoaks & District League. They were formed in 1923 and became an affiliated member of the FA in 1924. The football club's home pitch is located behind The Cock Inn pub in the picturesque village of Ide Hill and is reported to be the highest football pitch in Kent. 

Tweets from idehillfc @idehillfc
Print Print | Sitemap Recommend this page Recommend this page
© Sevenoaks Sports Publishing 2015