The Official home of Ide Hill Football Club
The Official home of Ide Hill Football Club
Home of Ide Hill Football Club - A Charter Standard Club
Home of Ide Hill Football Club - A Charter Standard Club

Platt United 2 Ide Hill 3

Saturday 2 March, 2013

This cup match, which had been postponed by bad weather since November, was the first match in a few weeks for the First XI. This due to the dreadful decision making by a referee at home to Dulwich Village. Ide Hill took to the filed with a strong team, although a couple of players were out of position due to the absence of three defenders.


We started well and before long Jimmy Phillips had nipped in and helped himself to our first goal of the afternoon. This was quickly followed up with a great move and run from Nick Capon to get Ide Hill's second. And had he not been wearing his mum's slippers, could have made it 3-0 shortly afterwards. Platt United were not beaten though and their spirited right back made this much of a game that it should have been. A very poor decision by the referee Chris Goulbourn gifted Platt a free kick on the edge of the box, and seconds later it was 2-1. Halftime.


Ide Hill started the second half well and kept passing the ball around the park, with some great efforts goiung unrewarded. That said, a slight lapse in defending, gave their right back an opportunity on the edge and he finished to make it 2-2.


As cup games go, this wasn't a bad one, however no one likes to go into extra-time, so with that thought in our minds we stepped it up a little and with the last touch of the game, Charlie James popped up in the box to tap in the winner from a yard! Fulltime 3-2.


With players coming back from injury and a couple back after being cup-tied, the first XI squad has never looked stronger. Although this will cause the management headaches as a potential squad of 19 is on the cards this week for the match against Peckham Town. Tough decisions will have to be made that's for sure.


Steve Rowley, Ide Hill FC media secretary

Bexley 0 Ide Hill 4

Tuesday 8 January, 2013

Due to the wonderful English weather we had only played one game in December, and between then and now we had of course had Christmas & New Year. Now… I’m not talking Claire from Steps fat… but the majority of us were carrying a few extra pounds (with the exception of George who had spent the previous night throwing up his body organs). Taking this into account and already knowing Bexley were a young team who had previously beaten us at home 1-2, we knew we were in for a hard game.


Actually I should take a moment just to let you know something before you carry on reading. I can’t actually remember most the game. So the below report will be me rambling off on a tangent before randomly snapping back to reality and explaining how we scored an occasional goal. Enjoy.


Holder won the toss for the first time this season. This in itself was a MoM winning performance. The fact he ran around like a headless chicken for the rest of the game we can forgive him. As Messi once stated “I could not score all my goals if we didn’t win the coin toss, it is the most important part of any game and is the difference between winning and losing”.


Let me explain… The coin was flipped in the air by the opposition captain which is custom for the home team to do. Everything went in slow motion. A single bead of sweat ran down my face. My heart rate quickened. I just told myself you are Neo (that bloke from The Matrix that dodges bullets). Heads I thought. It will definitely be heads. Then as the coin hits the floor… I shout “Tails”. Oh no. Why had I shouted tails. I should have said heads. What had I done. Only won the bloomin coin toss hadn’t I. BOOM! Game won. No thanks needed boys.


Ok jokes aside… we had a very strong squad. We had shown glimpses of what we can do but were still lacking that one off sparkling performance (like a bottle of Moët & Chandon champagne) we knew we had in the locker.


The team was as follows; Mikey in goal. As stated by Wally pre-match “the best keeper Ide Hill has ever had”. CJ and Alteirac continued their solid partnership at centre back. The ever versatile Jimmy Phillips (who I might mention has 2 goals in 2 games up front in his two previous games) was needed at right back. Lansley completed the back four as the immovable left back. Holder sat in the holding role centre mid allowing Daly to run the game from the middle of the park.


Wilfred Zaha… oh sorry I mean Boyle, as stated by Wally pre-match “the most skilful player in the league” started right wing. Columb, after an extensive warm up, started on the left. This left the ugly version of Tevez & Aguero up front. Capon and Wright. On the bench was the ever reliable Paxman-Hughes, the ill Kensell (who asked that when he came on it was when we were shooting downhill) and Ide Hill’s new record signing (a tin of sweet corn and a 30p off Cravendale milk coupon) Zach Berwick.


The 1st half kicked off. There was some passing and (please insert other generic football terms). Then…
Boyle floated in a corner. Not sure what happened next apart from the fact Mr Tom Wright smashed in his 3rd goal in as many games to give Ide Hill a 0-1 lead. Daly was spotting some beautiful defence splitting balls from midfield and Boyle was a constant threat down the right wing gliding past 2/3 players every time he picked up the ball. Sometimes he even picked out a pass at the end of it.


It wasn’t too long before Ide Hill went 0-2 up. A long goal kick was nodded on by Holder to release Columb down the left wing. Columb then did what he does best. He skinned the left back with ease before a well placed driven cross allowed Capon to smash home his first goal of the day.


Offensively we were dominant and this played a large part in a massive win, but it is also important to remember this result is also down to the passionate, professional and immovable Ide Hill defence. A team can only be so confident going forward in the knowledge they have a solid foundation to protect them. Apart from about 10 free kicks conceded 5 minutes before half time when CJ & Phil were getting over aggressive in their closing down from the rear.


Oh… I nearly forgot. Capon went though one on one with the Bexley keeper, usually he drills these home but decided to lay it off unselfishly for Tom, who proceeded to miss a near open goal. Everyone was wondering how the prolific goal scorer had missed. Well let this writer tell you. After speaking with Tom after the game he doesn’t actually remember the incident and this is why, when Capon passed him the ball he simply just feinted with shock. His natural reflex was to kick out a foot and this is why the ball sailed wide of the post. Don’t worry we forgive you Tom. But only if you score a goal in the 2nd half. Spolier alert. He did.


I should also mention CJ’s towering header. He didn’t score from it. I don’t even think it was close but he was so pleased with himself I thought it was worth a mention. Well done mate.


Second half. Ide Hill went 0-3 about 20 mins into the 2nd half. That’s a guess. It could have been 25 mins or any other number between 15 and 30. I’ll stick with 20. Another piece of skill from Boyle allowed Capon to grab his brace. That’s 2 goals in 2 games to mark his return to the 1st team and he celebrated with a Shearer-esque celebration. It didn’t take long for 0-4. The fresh legs of Paxman-Hughes bought a renewed energy and his superb closing down and interception, followed by a cross, set Tom up for his brace. If only he had scored that goal in the 1st half it would have been a well deserved hat-trick and he could have gone home with the match ball.


Other highlights of the second half. Zach made his Ide Hill debut coming on after about 65 minutes and looked like a great addition. Phil went off with cramp… gay. Bexley had a player sent off in the 86 minute. Kensell made some comical defensive headers. We played like Barcelona for about 4 minutes but Boyle fell over and missed the chance to score. Boyle headed the ball. Boyle headed the ball again.


In my opinion it was a typical Ide Hill performance but with a score line that matched the passion and commitment shown week in week out by all. Wally treated us all to a cheeky bottle of beer after the game. Nice touch and was appreciated by the boys.


So it comes to nominating MoM. Impossible. Jimmy Phillips deserves a mention for an awesome performance at right back. I’m sure he wasn’t too excited about the prospect of playing there but I think the team all appreciated the job he did. Brilliant. Wright & Capon were quality. Daly was instrumental in dictating the game. Phil, CJ, Lansley & Mike were solid and had a clean sheet to show for their efforts. MoM (bit of a cop out) - Team Ide Hill.


Team: McKay, Lansley, Alteirac, C. James, Phillips, Grant (65 Berwick), Daly, Holder, Daly, Boyle (70 Paxman-Hughes), Capon (80 Kensell), Wright.




Craig Holder, Ide Hill Midfield Warrior & Captain

Dulwich Village 4 Ide Hill 4

Monday 19 November, 2012

Following a fantastic Kent Cup win, and a week off last week, Ide Hill returned to action in the league hoping to make it two wins on the bounce, and more importantly pick up a well needed 3 points.

As the team turned up, we all found ourselves watching the Dulwich team warm up - they even had a goalkeeping coach... we didn't even have a Manager! Or a kit! Keith had been held up in traffic and eventually turned up about 30 minutes before KO.


Keith had been busy mid-week and completed the signing of Tom Wright. Tom had joined from St Lawrence, and from playing against him for a number of years I knew he would be great addition to the Ide Hill team.


Another surprise was Jimmy Phillips, or He-Man as he will now be known. Sporting a massive bruise down his leg he has miraculously re-covered from what was initially thought to be a grade 2 hamstring tear. God bless our NHS…


Ide Hill started with a 4-5-1 formation. Mikey was ever present in goal with the hard working and ever reliable Olly and Lansley slipping in at their respective full back positions. With Alteirac out through injury, and with Charlton busy beating Burnley, Simmo returned at centre back paired with Charlie. Holder sat in holding role allowing Jacko & Daly free to pull the strings in front of him. Columb started on the left wing and George on the right. Shaun started as a lone striker.


It was another good start for Ide Hill, and we were the better side for the first 30 minutes, but couldn't put away the chances we did have. Simmo came closest to opening the scoring and grabbing his first goal of the season. He wrong footed the keeper with his header but Mikey managed to scramble back and clear off the line. Shaun was given a hard job as a lone striker, but was doing a fantastic job holding up the ball and bringing others into play. He played a couple of great balls through to George, who smashed the upright with a bullet shot. Daly also came close to opening his Ide Hill account. Some tekkers in the area turned the Dulwich defence inside out and his left foot shot was just saved by the opposition keeper.


Jacko or "Golden-balls" was leading the attack from the midfield. He was making friends with his opposite number – a small angry ginger man who Dulwich referred to as "Scholesy" ... HA! Put it this way he certainly didn't play like Scholes and had the maturity of Jedward. I personally think Chucky would have been a more apt nickname. Anyways... he chose the wrong player to 'try' and intimidate. These kind of players bring out the best in Jacko and dare I say it... I think he enjoys it.


Dulwich eventually took the lead through a corner, or maybe a cross. Poor marking allowed their no. 10 a free header and he took full advantage. 0-1. Five minutes later a desperate clearance from Dulwich floated over the top of the Ide Hill defence. Their player beat Mikey to the ball and crossed for their no. 10 to head again into an open net. 0-2. Two quick goals had turned this match around. Ide Hill tried to push on. With the last kick of the 1st half the ball fell to Holder on the edge of the area. He hit it… wide... really wide. When will Ide Hill learn? Never ever let Holder shoot! Never.


At half time Keith re-iterated that we were still not out of this game and made a couple of changes. Jimmy Phillips and Tom Wright emerged from the bench, adding pace to the attack. Shaun and Daly were the unfortunate causalities of this decision after a 1st half that couldn't be faulted. Ide Hill reverted to a 4-4-2 formation.


We started the 2nd half brightly but it wasn't long before we were 0-3 down. A low powerful cross was whipped into the Ide Hill box and handled across the line for their no. 10 to complete his hat-trick. Everyone knew it and so did the Dulwich striker who didn't even celebrate but had a cheeky grin on his face. In a game I feel we were edging and were the better side we were 0-3 down. How? Still... we battled on keeping positive. Robbie James came off the bench to replace George who had put in, as usual, a tireless display.


Could it get worse! Yes is the answer. Dulwich made it 0-4 with a long range effort that Mikey could only just get finger tips to.


20 minutes to go. 0-4 down. GAME OVER.


Naaaaaaaaaaaaaa. The Ide Hill team spirit is unquestionable! You ready. Here. We. Go!

RJ pinged an accurate cross field ball to Columb who did what he does best and ran at the full back. His shot was blocked by the Dulwich keeper but the new Ide Hill goal machine Jimmy Phillips slotted in. 1-4. A spark of hope. Five minutes later 2-4. Jacko this time placed a perfect ball over the top of the Dulwich defence into the path of Columb who crossed for Jimmy to head home. The score was now respectable but we had the bit between our teeth. We wanted more! So Columb did just that, he was on fire 2nd half and added to his two assists by cracking home Ide Hill's third. 3-4.


The belief that had simmered below the surface was evident for all to see. Ide Hill pushed on. We could win this. The Dulwich keeper AKA Fabian Bartez then tried to show off his tekkers. Fail. Tom pounced and grabbed a deserved debut goal. 4-4. The match was level.


Dulwich were now at each other’s throats. More rash challenges and general abuse ensued. The referee, after receiving a tirade of insults, finally decided to take action – a little too late in my eyes! Chucky got a red card. Looks like he really got into "Posh Boy" (Jacko's) head... NOT. A Dulwich player also told the ref "I'm going to f***ing cut your throat". The ref seemed reluctant to give him a yellow card. Lansley, clearly angered after seeing a stamp on Holder, squared up to three Dulwich players. Everything was broken up but I’m pretty sure Lansley could have floored them all with some Bruce Lee shit he keeps in the locker for such occasions. Needless to say, I for one stayed close to Jacko in the shower after the game for protection.


Ide Hill pushed on but couldn't snatch the win. A great comeback and a very deserved point. It takes a special team to bounce back from 0-4 down! This Ide Hill team is based on passion, commitment, tenacity and an awesome team spirit. Again picking a man of the match is near impossible. Columb had a great 2nd half. Jimmy grabbed a brace after coming off the bench. I could go on. However in my opinion:

MoM - Golden Boy. The northern posh boy (sorry had to get that in again) was a different class. He out muscled and controlled the midfield keeping everything positive.

Team: McKay, Lansley, Simms, C. James, Robinson, Grant, Jackson, Holder, Daly (45 Wright), Kensell (55 R.James), Boyle (45 Phillips).



Craig Holder, Ide Hill FC First XI Captain


Ide Hill 3 Hawkenbury 2

Tuesday 6 November, 2012

Ide Hill travelled to Culvenden Stadium to kick start their season and were aiming for a big win to start a successful Kent Cup campaign. There was a positive glow in the the dressing room before the game, although a slight nervous tension hung in the air as everyone was nervous to look their best for the profile picture ... Keith, Wally & Matty P-Hughes had all combed their hair especially.


Holder had an elaborate pre-match warm up planned involving a lit firework, 2 footballs and a parachute. These plans were however thrown into disarray with the news that we were not allowed to train on the pitch. That left us a 3 metre strip down the side of the pitch, or the changing room. Not to fear however, Charlie James had used his initiative & found somewhere else for us to warm up. We all followed him into the wilderness... the space was definitely large enough, the 'slight' problem however being the fact the ground was about as flat as Adele, had a trench down the middle and scattered with random lumps of concrete. Fail. Being the rebels we are we chose to go back and warm up on the pitch.


In a change to usual, Ide Hill started the game in the ascendancy. This was a game we were determined to win and as such flew out the traps. On a pitch that was clearly deteriorating by the second and was slowing beginning to resemble the top of a chocolate gateau we played some very positive and confident football. There was plenty of communication and everyone wanted the ball. We started in a 4-4-2 formation.


The two up front were working very well together. Ryan played slightly deeper to collect and hold the ball before bringing others into play. Jimmy Phillips with his new Chicharito hair style was relishing his new forward position and working hard for the team. On a large pitch Columb & George were enjoying a lot of possession on the wing. Jacko was pulling the strings in the midfield while Holder sat in front of the back four. Bruce & Pallister, or I should say Phil & Charlie were proving to be an ever improving solid centre back pairing. Olly and Lansley were always a willing outlet and burned up the wing to help out the attack when required. Mikey was ever present in goal, always aware and quick to react to what was going on around him.


Ide Hill deservedly went 0-1 up. A 'perfect corner' from Jacko bobbled across box, was flicked on by Ryan and neatly directed into the net by a tidy bit of tekkers from Jimmy. Ide Hill continued to pressure until half time. We could have been 0-5 up in all honestly but just couldn't find the back of the net. Hawkenbury's only form of attack was there number 10 cutting in deep from the left wing and playing Hollywood balls over the top. To give him credit they were well placed but didn't cause the defence any problems.


At half time Keith and Wally warned that the pitch was getting worse. We needed to lift the ball when passing, keeping everything simple and accurate. Mistakes and slips would happen that we needed to capitalise on. They were pleased with the atmosphere and performance but as us players knew we should have been more than one goal up.


Two injuries early into the second half bought some changes. Jimmy Phillips pulled his hamstring & Phil had a suspected broken rib.  This bought about a new centre midfield partnership of Matty P-Hughes and Alex Daley. Holder dropped to centre back and Jacko pushed on up front. Matty and Daley gave a whole new energy to the midfield and it wasn't long until Ide Hill were 0-2 up. A beautiful turn in the area from Ryan wrong footed the defender who just stuck out a leg and brought down Ryan in the box. Penalty. Jacko confidently smashed the ball into the top left corner.


More chances followed for Ide Hill to increase their lead but unfortunately they couldn't hit the back of the net. Jacko and Columb both took it in turns to send the ball into orbit. George, also after a well anticipated interception had a great opportunity to knock th ball into a near open goal. He hit a bullet shot with the outside of his right foot... at the corner flag. Oooops!


With about 20 mins left of the game and against the run of play Hawkenbury pulled a goal back. A mistake from Holder left Charlie on the floor and there striker through on goal for a one on one with Mikey. He slotted it away. 1-2. Not more than 5 minutes later with momentum in their favour Hawkenbury equalised with a good passing move that left a player in space to score. Great finish. 2-2.


How had we let a game we were totally in control slowly slip through our fingers. No! This wasn't going to happened. We had all worked too hard for this. Heads up and new positive wave of enthusiasm flowed though the team. This is our game to win and WE WILL win it.


Mikey's quick thinking and accurate kick gets a helping hand from Ryan through to Columb who turned the burners on, rounds the keeper and cooly passes the ball into an empty net. Brilliant. Final whistle. Hawkenbury 2 - Ide Hill 3.


A special mention must be made about the referee who was... TERRIBLE. For some reason he decided that slide tackles were illegal. Some perfectly timed challenges were penalised. The game was played in good jest and I fear anymore of a physical game would have got out of hand because of the poor officiating.


We all returned to the changing room looking like we had all spent a week filming Born Survivor with Bear Grylls and looking forward to getting cleaned off under a hot shower. It wasn't to be but there is something rather comical about 8 blokes huddled around a freezing cold shower like a colony of penguins. Nothing could however dent the general buzz from a deserved win.


No Ide Hill player could be faulted. Each and everyone put in a tireless and passionate display which makes picking a man of the match near impossible. However in my opinion:


MoM - Ryan Hill. After a frustrating start to the season he came into his own and the only thing missing from a wonderful display was a cheeky goal.


Team: McKay, Lansley, Alteirac (55 Paxman-Hughes), James, Robinson, Grant, Jackson, Holder, Kensell, Hill, Phillips (55 Daley).




Craig Holder, Ide Hill FC player and committee member
Follow Craig on Twitter @craig_holder

Ide Hill 1 Halls AFC 1

Tuesday 30 October, 2012

Another hard earned point but one that should have been three!

We started slow again against opposition that have not lost in five games, however once we got a bit of belief in ourselves our game improved dramatically and rather than being under pressure we had more possession.


Ryan Hill and Chris Thomas, who were playing the front line, both had good chances to take the lead. Ryan in particularly showing his ability to keep the ball. However it took a cracker of a shot from the ever hard working George Kensell to break the score. He was supported well by the tireless running of Ollie Robinson. The whole of the back four of Ollie Robinson, Phil Alteirac, Jon Simms and Dave ‘never say die’ Lansley were brilliant against a quick Halls AFC front two.


Mike McKay also made some critical interventions on the edge of his box. Shaun Boyle, Jimmy Phillips and Columb Grant supported George in the midfield. At half time the talk was cautious but rightly we talked of a big win. Sadly we came out for the second half slow and appeared to be tired.


Halls passed the ball better and sneaked one back with a tap in from a cross that should not have been allowed. Craig Holder had replaced Ryan at half time and we reverted to a normal line up with Shaun supporting Chris upfront. Ryan came off the bench to replace Chris and in the last 20 minutes it was a closer game with both teams having good chances.


The final whistle came and the referee was very praiseworthy to both teams who only conceded very few fouls and the game was played in a very good sporting manner. We must be more confident however, in our ability and hopefully welcome some players back this  week and maybe one or two new faces.


Chris, Wally and I have been in long discussions over the last few weeks and Chris has decided to try semi-pro again and we wish him well. We have ability within the side to replace him but as I type this I am actively looking to recruit some new and younger players who may wish to try at a higher standard.

Let’s have a good game this weekend away at Hawkenbury in the Kent Cup.




Keith McGinn, Ide Hill FC joint first team manager

Halstead 4 Ide Hill 1

Monday 15 October, 2012

We talked about starting a bit quicker and it fell on deaf ears. Within three minutes a long cross to the back found three Halstaed players un marked one of which buried a header from two foot out. A short while later we were looking like it could be a bad day at the office and continuously on the back foot. We had no real possession and it resulted in another goal.


2-0 down was always going to be difficult to come back from and it could have been worse had mikey not stopped a couple of one on ones.


We had the odd chance but as we went into half time it looked like being a long game. However we came out more spirited and things improved in the second half.Playing up the hill suited us and we had a couple of good chances. Shaun was starting to cause them problems and as a team we started to work much harder and looked the better side.


However against the run of play we allowed a Halstead player to have too much time and freedom on the edge of the box. Jon sims threw himself in front of his shot for it only to take a deflection and catch mike wrong footed.


They must have thought it was their lucky day but we continued to work hard and it eventually paid of when columb Grant pinched one back. Still two behind but we looked more likely to score again than them and they started to get a bit flustered. Again we missed a couple of opportunities and on a different day we would have probably been level. Our opportunity appeared to arrive when the ball struck their defender on the hand whilst in the box. The ref claimed not to see it and Halstead attacked on the break.


Sadly having cleared the ball and danger a bit of poor discipline gave them an indirect free on the edge of our box which was duly converted. Even at 4- 1 down we kept going but the game was already lost.

We do seem to be lacking confidence when we start games and by the end we looked fitter and more positive than them. In the end we could not really argue about the result but we will look forward to try and gain revenge in the more important league fixture.


We face another hard game on Saturday but now having seen the standard of this league we can still push on and end high up in the table. Everybody must stay focused, committed and get back to enjoying our games.




Keith McGinn, Ide Hill FC joint first team manager


Peckham Town 4 Ide Hill 3

Tuesday 9 October, 2012

We played with a good spirit on Saturday and we certainly put the effort in. But we lacked some sharpness and fluency and that made us less dangerous in the final third.


Chris Thomas got Ide Hill’s first goal after a rebound off the goalkeeper from Craig Holder’s stabbed effort.


We continued to create a few chances but we couldn't convert them, and Peckham defended very well throughout the whole game. When you play a team like that you have to be sharp enough to make the difference, otherwise it becomes very difficult.


Our balance wasn't quite right up front because we needed maybe one more creative player to improve our accuracy in the final third. There was not a lot of space left to our strikers, so everything had to be created from our midfield.


George Kensell netted our second with a cheeky header from the middle of the box. Shaun Boyle then scored our third when Columb Grant took a corner and spotted him free on edge of the box. Shaun drilled in a low and hard shot leaving their keeper no chance.


Chris Thomas missed a penalty late in the game with the scores at 3-3, and Callum Heath was lucky to get out the ground intact after a little spat with the opposition, which saw Keith McGinn remove him from the field of play and back to the changing room. With minutes left they found a late winner and we had to walk away with no points when it could have been three .  


It is a missed opportunity of course, and it is always frustrating when you have so much possession and come away with nothing. However, having nearly beaten a top of the table side we should have no fear of any other side in this league.


Steve Rowley, Ide Hill FC fixtures & media secretary

Old Bromelians 0 Ide Hill 8

Monday 1 October, 2012

Having had no sleep on my return trip from Antigua and having gone straight to watch the first ever U8 match at Greatness I was feeling a little nervous to say the least about facing Old Bromlians with 6 regular first teamers missing. Especially as for some reason we had been left with only the bare 11 to start and the hope that two others would turn up. This will not be allowed to happen again !!!!.
Wally and I discussed our tactics and our team talk was based on team spirit and effort. We felt the players we had could definitely do a job if we played to our strengths and kept our play simple with a lot of hard work we could come away with something.
Not only did we come away with the three points but put eight goals past them which could have been a lot more. It has to be said that they were the weakest opposition we have faced this season but I feel we made them look bad and they themselves have beaten other teams already.
Although under strength we had a very balance side despite one or two players playing in unusual positions. On a very good surface we started briskly and  worked hard at closing the opposition down and not allowing them to play. In contrast when we had possession we worked the ball around the park and found lots of space down the wings. Wally and I had specifically identified that this may be the day to utilise the height and strengths of chris and play quicker long balls over the top. This worked to our credit and they could not cope with our running of the ball and creating our own space. Within ten minutes we we were 1-0 up and in all honesty never looked back. We grew in strength and belief through out the game which the opposition did not like and began to argue with each other and their manager. When a clearance from the goalie fell straight to chris near the half way line he took one touch before sending the ball some forty foot from the side line and curled one over the retreating goalies head and in underneath the cross bar. Certainly the best goal of the season so far. Columb and Andy Rudden were supporting chris down the wings well and from a corner Chris found the space and buried a header into the net. The back four looked strong at the back and nigel who had done brilliantly took a well deserved rest on the arrival of Billy Cornwell . He slipped into the back four alongside the ever improving Phil Alteirac and Dave moved to left back and never looked under threat. With Ollie robinson closing down a nippy left winger the back four always looked solid.
With Matty PH, Jimmy P and George K  completing the five strong midfield they never stopped running and kept the ball moving and catching the opposition defense square with some intelligent balls through the back line. Four nil at half time with Chris already having bagged his first hatrick of the season. We started the secong half as we did the first  and shaun who had arrived replace a tired Andy rudden who had worked his socks off. Chris blagged his fourth from another cross to the back post and shaun created more problems grabbing a further two goals to keep his recent scoring rate on a high. Further goals by Columb and jimmy phillips secured the 8 : 0 score line .
This was a game won by pure determination and clever possession football. There was not one player out their who looked out of place in the first team and proves the depth we have within the club.
On a personal basis wally and i would like to thank the four players who were asked to make the step up. Although this is what we expect from all players, I am so glad that those who were prepared to help the club took part in not only our biggest win for a number of years but it is a massive credit to them to do it in the kent county league and proves that we are playing at our right standard.
The best phrase of the day was when their captain removed his shirt walked off the pitch and stated his club was a disgrace to be beaten by a bunch of farmer boys ( this was when it was only 4:0). For some reason he came back on only to see the score line get worse. Good job he never knew about our nickname !
We have unbeaten opposition next week in the guise of Peckham Town and it will be another massive test for the club.




Keith McGinn, Ide Hill FC joint first team manager

Ide Hill 1 Bexley 2

Saturday 8 September, 2012

Our first home match of the Kent County League started once again with a few players arriving later than they should have down. Perhaps we can put this down to the first time they had visited this ground, but I suspect it’s more likely that when you leave home late, you arrive at the ground late!


With all present and correct we started this match with some great off the ball work by Chris Thomas and Columb Grant. However, shortly afterwards, a bad decision over a short free kick led to a Bexley offensive ending with the visitors taking a corner that bounced around in the 5-yard area before being slotted away. This was sloppy by all accounts, the free kick, the counter attack, the defending. One nil to Bexley.


Bexley seemed to have all the possession now, but a spell of genius and a rather late challenge gave Ide Hill their first real opportunity of the match. Craig Jackson going close with a 20-yard free kick. The game remained pretty even with some sloppy passing by both teams, until a brilliant cross from Jimmy Phillips found George Kensell with a deft touch on his chest to open up the field in front of him. Sadly, George’s shot let him down and it went wide of the left hand post.


The management made a decision to change the formation, using the new roll-on roll-off rule, and replaced Ryan Cornwell, who had been great throughout, with Shaun Boyle. Some more great footwork from Jacko and fresh feet Shaun led to a penalty for Ide Hill after a misplaced tackle by the centre back. Chris put it away to the right giving the keeper no chance. HT: Ide Hill 1 Bexley 1.


After what I am sure was a tough-love team talk by Wally and Keith at the break (I was enjoying the new grounds bar!), Ide Hill went back onto the field in the same fashion they did in the first. However a massive breakdown in the defence led to another sloppy goal by Bexley. 2-1 to the visitors.


A further 20 minutes in and Ide Hill were finding it hard to keep hold of the ball for any length of time. Passes were either short or just not in the right direction. A couple more changes were made with George and Alex Daley coming off for Ryan Hill and Phil Alteirac.


Moments later, Callum Heath gets a little hot under the collar and gives away a free kick in a promising area of the pitch. Fortunately, our 6ft plus striker had come back to assist and cleared the lines of danger, resulting in a free kick to the home side.


Towards the end of the match Ide Hill were creating more chances again and looked the most  likely to score. A close range shot by Columb gets palmed away by the Bexley defender, but the referee doesn't see it but still gives a corner, which was a little disappointing.


The final minutes saw an Ide Hill attack down the right and Shaun manages to hit a hard cross into the middle but it's just too much for Chris to get on the end of. The final score was Ide Hill 1 Bexley 2, however the final verdict was, if we play like we did at the end of both halves for the full 90 minutes, no one will touch us this season.


Mentions should go to Craig Holder and Jimmy Phillips, who along with Ryan C, played out of position for some of the match without questioning the decision. And Mike McKay who will continue to be number one choice between the sticks!


Steve Rowley, Ide Hill FC Media Secretary

Lanes End 2 Ide Hill 3

Saturday 1 September, 2012

An excellent start to our Kent County venture. With two new signings in Alex Daly and Jonathon Sims we fielded a very strong side. The opposition already had a league win under their belt and they looked a strong and experienced side. The game was very quick and very physical although played in a good nature.
We started well and kept the ball moving quickly. Playing slightly up hill we played a little deep and had very little support for Chris Thomas when we attacked. Saying that, the game was faily even until we left their quick footed Lee Kennet too much space on the edge of the box. He buried it into the bottom left hand post although it looked like he shaped up for the other corner and caught Mike wrong footed. This gave them a bit more confidence but we kept working hard.


Charlie James and Simmo were working very well at the back together, with Callum Heath and Ollie Robinson both playing well against a strong and physical front two. Jacko as normal bossed the centre of midfield and was assisted by Alex who had come on to replace Jimmy Phillips. Things were again tight and half time arrived with the score still one nil to the home side.
We changed things around in the second half and brought on Shaun Boyle who immediately made an impact. Shaun looked fresh and was causing problems with his long strides and pace. We also had more pressure and after ten minutes we got a deserved equaliser when Shaun buried one from short distance. This revitalised the whole team and the next fifteen minutes were ours. They began to look tired and our relentless running was wearing them down.


Shortly after, another long ball gave Shaun the chance to again show his pace and he left their defender for dead and cleverly chipped the goalie. A couple of good saves from Mike McKay was also keeping us in the game. The game should have been ours when Shaun again broke free from a long ball by CJ. Same tactic, same result as the goalie could only watch the ball go over his head and into the net. We then looked safe and a close header from Chris nearly secured the points.


Another left wing run by Shaun resulted in chances for Chris and Matt Paxman-Hughes but with no goal as a result. With fifteen minutes to go we gain had three opportunities to clear the ball from Lee Kennett. We didn't and some very quick feet and clever dummies allowed him to pass two defenders and the round Mike to put the ball back in the net.
Both sides had chances but in the end we held out for a very good result. This game was won on hard work and team spirit. More please next week.
I appreciate people have work etc. which can mean late arrivals however there are no excuse for some. Chris is good enough to do a professional warm up so from now please make sure you are there one hour before KO. This may mean, as Shaun found out this week, that you loose your starting position in the game.


Keith McGinn, Ide Hill FC joint first team manager

About Ide Hill FC

Ide Hill FC are a charter standard club who play in the Kent County League and the Sevenoaks & District League. They were formed in 1923 and became an affiliated member of the FA in 1924. The football club's home pitch is located behind The Cock Inn pub in the picturesque village of Ide Hill and is reported to be the highest football pitch in Kent. 

Tweets from idehillfc @idehillfc
Print Print | Sitemap Recommend this page Recommend this page
© Sevenoaks Sports Publishing 2015