The Official home of Ide Hill Football Club
The Official home of Ide Hill Football Club
Home of Ide Hill Football Club - A Charter Standard Club
Home of Ide Hill Football Club - A Charter Standard Club

League leaders pushed to the limit by 10 man Ide Hill



Ide Hill 2 - New Romney 3

Division One East
19 March 2016
League leaders New Romney overcame a forceful performance from ten man Ide Hill to take the three points in a close encounter.
New Romney’s brighter start was dulled as Ide Hill bossed the game forcing them to defend deeper and stifling their creative flair. New Romney were sharp and pacy up front and although threatening, Ide Hill’s defence they kept them under control. When they did break through keeper Mike McKay was quick off his line to smoother any chances, ably backed-up by the defensive back four.
In attack Ide Hill caused New Romney more upsets than their recent opponents as they broke down the left side with winger Columb Grant cutting in at will and midfielders Jack Edmeads and Craig Jackson proving too strong for them.
The only criticism of a bold first half performance was Ide Hill’s tendency to overplay the ball when crisper and sharper chances were on but still, they made plenty of them. From the left side of midfield some thirty yards out Edmeads hit a thunderous shot that dipped, moved and stunned New Romney’s defence as the ball sailed in to the top corner of the net. Thirty minutes gone and one nil.
Spurred on by this Ide Hill attacked from all sides. Striker Tom Wright led the line well although he was left isolated at times as they failed to make the most of the width but New Romney had no answer and with five minutes gone Jackson added a second. If the first goal was thunderous Jackson’s strike was monstrous as he hit a first time shot from even further out and it too swerved and beat the well positioned keeper with power he could not stop.
It was a great all-round effort backed up by high quality football and two cracking goals. New Romney struggled to compete.
But football is a game of two halves and within five minutes of the restart Ide Hill were reduced to ten men as full back Rob Piper was adjudged to have clipped the New Romney striker inside the box and in a goal scoring position. 
McKay stopped the resultant penalty with a low dive to his left but as the ball rolled back into play Ide Hill’s defence was too static and New Romney took advantage to score.
Twelve minutes later the game was level as New Romney attacked down the left to pull back a shot from the line that was hit home with force.
Game on for both sides and for the next twenty minutes Ide Hill overcame their player shortfall, spraying the ball around and creating several chances from dead ball situations and open play. But New Romney are worthy league leaders and created chances and in clearing an attack in the six yard box Edmeads hit the ball hard against the helpless McKay and it bounced in. Ide Hill were behind courtesy of an unfortunate own goal.
Both sides battled out the remainder of the game and New Romney took the points from an unfortunate Ide Hill.


Farnborough OB Guild 1 - Ide Hill 3

Sevenoaks Charity Cup
5 March, 2016

A convincing 3-1 win meant that Ide Hill reach the final of the competition for the fourth successive season. After a tough series of qualifying games Ide Hill faced worthy opponents Farnborough who had only lost two league games this season and they won convincingly.

On a difficult pitch Farnborough's best passage of play came in the opening fifteen minutes as they attacked down the flanks but their end delivery was poor. Central midfielder Phillipe Alteraic had a stand-out game and the Ide Hill defence always looked assured against opponents who lacked flair and relied too heavy on long balls into the box. Full back Rob Piper and Ben Pearson added weigh to the attack with defender Charlie James and keeper Mike McKay always ready to mop up the occasional problems.

In the midfield Jack Edmeads and Craig Jackson bossed the game and provided plenty of openings for Ide Hill’s wingers Shaun Boyle and Columb Grant. Both made good runs during the first half and as the game progressed Farnborough were out-muscled virtually all over the pitch.

With twenty five minutes gone Ide Hill capitalised on the chances they created as attacking midfielder George Kensell hit home and they were worthy leaders at half-time.

Not long after the resumption Farnborough levelled the score. After an interchange between their forward and winger down the left flank their low hit cross evaded both sets of players as it tantalisingly rolled over the line with no great force.

It was only a blip and Ide Hill grew in stature and moved the home team around with some slick passing and strong tackling. Jackson’s high cross-field pass was neatly taken by Grant on the left wing and as the ball dropped he controlled it, cut inside his opponent and beat the keeper in one slick movement. Ahead again after twenty two minutes.

Chances flowed for Ide Hill and Farnborough had little to offer in response except to frustrate themselves and at times their visible tension descended into bickering the referee stepped did well to govern.

With twelve minutes left Jackson was brought down inside Farnborough’s half and as the referee righty played the advantage rule striker Tom Wright picked up the ball on the left before cutting in and past three defenders who seemed to stand off him in the misguided belief that nothing dangerous could possibly be conjured from that position.

He hit the ball sweetly from twenty five yards and it curled round the keeper to secure ide Hill’s well deserved win. A solid performance all round to cap a great cup run and secure an appearance in the final on Good Friday against local opponents Kemsing.













Sevenoaks Charity Cup
2 October, 2015


The teams were drawn together in another cup competition two weeks after Ide Hill spectacularly won 9-0. This time Ide Hill were again convincing winners as they outplayed their opponents with a thorough team performance.


Chipstead were clearly out to avoid another defeat and changed their team selection. Although they settled well they rarely threatened  in the early stages of the match. Ide Hill’s defence again prevented Chipstead scoring as they closed down their strikers and restricted them to a handful of chances.


The full-back pairing of Ben Pearson on the left and Mohamed Mohamud on the right always look to push forward to support the midfield and they added width to the attack. In the centre the defensive duo of Phillipe Alteirac and Charlie James were solid.


Missing from the kick-off was George Kensell who having arrived late was promptly brought on to attack from midfield and within minutes he collected a pass from right winger Shaun Boyle to score the first goal after eighteen minutes. With his high energy style of play he was troublesome all afternoon and he links almost telepathically with striker Tom Wright.


The second goal was stunning as from deep inside his own half Ide Hill captain Alteirac hit an incisive pass to pick out midfielder Craig Jackson’s well timed run on the edge of Chipstead’s penalty area. He collected and controlled it well to slot home past keeper Adam Porter.


With the scoreline two nil at half time time Ide Hill's team talk was not about another rout but the need to settle the match early on with another goal or two. However, Chipstead had other ideas and piled on pressure as they looked to get back into the game, forcing corners and a great save from Ide Hill keeper Mike McKay as he intuitively dived to his left to push away a certain goal. 


Gradually and despite their tendency to give the ball away with misplaced passes Ide Hill started to play with great authority. They are never afraid to play their way out of trouble with fluent passing and free flowing football, even in tight conditions, and they wore down Chipstead as they dominated the rest of the game.


Picking up the ball on the left Boyle’s mazy run saw him skip past four defenders almost unchallenged to strike the third and decisive goal. Ide Hill simply got stronger as they created a number of chances. 

Striker Tom Wright added to his season’s goal tally as he tapped home from close quarters after seventy five minutes. Finally Rob Piper added the fifth as Wright slipped a pass across from the left side of the penalty box for him to push it past the keeper.


Inevitably when you are five goals up a degree of casualness creeps in and Ide Hill could have increased the scoreline as they missed good chances and struck for goal a little too eagerly at times but this does not mar another strong cup and great team performance.

Kent Intermediatte Challenge Shield - First Round

This was a thrilling win by Ide Hill in a match that was effectively over inside thirty minutes as they struck five goals with a dazzling display of attacking football. All of them scored by striker Tom Wright who had an unstoppable afternoon and there was more to come as everyone contributed to a great result.


There is always added zest when these two local sides meet and both are skilful teams who make the most of playing on 3G pitches. Ide Hill started with a flourish and Chipstead struggled to handle the early pressure. In the ninth minute Ide Hill right-back Ben Pearson and midfielder Craig Jackson combined to create space down the right and Wright made a good run to meet the cross inside the box to hit home from two yards out.


Fifteen minutes later (yes 15!) Jackson linked well with central defender Charlie James to provide the cross for Wright to beat Chipstead keeper Adam Porter, who stopped the margin of victory being even greater with some fine saves. Five nil!


In between all this Wright tapped home the second, reacted well to hit his hat-trick from a sharp cross from the ebullient Jackson who turned quickly to beat his challenger, scored again with a dipping shot from the far right of the box and then came the goal that epitomised Ide Hill’s afternoon.

Ide Hill FC goalscorers: George Kensell, Tom Wright, Ben Pearson and Shaun Boyle

They moved the ball around confidently, controlling the game as they switched the play with ease and after a series of sharp passes involving seven players, left-back Rob Piper’s incisive pass was chased down by left winger Columb Grant who whipped the ball across for Wright to hit high into the roof of the net. A great team effort.


Every Ide Hill player contributed by winning their individual battles, creating space and closing down Chipstead who must have though their opponents had brought on the subs without replacing players as they were overrun in every area.


Chipstead tried to smoother Ide Hill’s free flowing football by switching Lee Root from attack to defence and pushed up captain James Porter who urged his team on despite the demoralising scoreline.


With the first half packed with more action that you normally see in ninety minutes the referee awarded Ide Hill an indirect free-kick outside the box. Despite Chipstead lining-up their defensive wall with precision Grant rolled the ball into the path of Boyle whose fearsome shot rifled past Porter.


Chipstead used the break to regroup and Jackson stood down for Ide Hill to be replaced by John MacDonald as their opponents expectedly pushed on in the second half and looked to play with more guile and confidence. They had much of the early play but their attacks were neutralised by Ide Hill’s strong defensive work. Although goals were flying in at the other end their defence confidently blocked and broke down Chipstead’s attacks. Ide Hill captain Phillipe Alteirac led the line commandingly backed up by keeper Mike McKay’s solid display.


With twenty five minutes gone Wright completed his second hat-trick as he run on to a through ball and lobbed the advancing keeper. Shortly after midfield George Kensell hit a sweet shot from a distance that curved neatly round the keeper and inside the post. Just reward for a tireless performance ably supported in the midfield by the hard working Craig Holder.


In the last minutes Pearson popped up to make it nine with another quality strike from the right to complete a memorable team performance that will prove to be a highlight of the season.


Ide Hill (starting line-up): Mike McKay, Ben Pearson, Charlie James, Phillipe Alteirac, Rob Piper, Shaun Boyle, George Kensell, Craig Jackson, Craig Holder, Columb Grant, Tom Wright.

Hawkinge Town 3 Ide Hill 2

Kent County League Division One East

12 September, 2015


To travel so far (Folkestone), play so disappointingly and concede a goal in the final minute makes for a bad day and thus it was as Ide Hill lost to Hawkinge Town.


In blustery, difficult conditions Hawkinge Town made the better start, hitting a post and winning a corner all in the first minute and they kept piling on the pressure as wide Hill failed to settle, a recurrence of last week’s start.


With two new signings, squad players absent, a make-shift goalie and others still to find their form you can argue that Ide Hill were dis-advantaged from the outset but they played below par, and despite coming from behind to lead the match at one point, casual defending and wastefulness in attack was their undoing.


Ide Hill’s Shaun Boyle had two good chances in the opening ten minutes but lacked composure and failed to take either. In such windy conditions too many Ide Hill shots were hit from distance and flew past the goal and corners were wasted.


At the other end the disrupted line-up struggled as Hawking Town’s tactic of hitting the ball long and chasing it down on the edge of Ide Hill’s box was basic but effective. It was from a failure to close down one of several Hawking Town’s attacks that they scored their first in the twentieth minute.


Slowly Ide Hill crept back into the game with the new central defensive pairing of capital Phillip Alteirac and Debit Jumale getting to grips with Hawkinge Town’s tactics but they needed greater support from midfield with only Craig Jackson covering back to help.


Going forward Ide Hill created chances with newcomer Liban Mohamed on the right wing and Columb Grant on the left. In midfield Boyle, George Kensell and Jackson had a difficult afternoon closing down their opponents but once Ide Hill settled and they found their passing game they were the better side.

With ten minutes remaining Hawkinge Town conceded a penalty as Wright was brought down and Jackson scored from the spot, his second in two games to end the half all square.


Ide Hill got off to the livelier start after the break and after five minutes Jackson pushed the ball wide to Boyle on the right side of the penalty box who hit across the area for striker Tom Wright to strike opportunistically for his first goal of the season.


Early in the second half Hawkinge Town conceded a penalty as Wright was brought down and Jackson scored from the spot for the second time in two games. Neither side really dominated after that and chances fell for both teams as they wrestled with the conditions.


Stand-in keeper Steve McGinn had a busier day that he wished for but equipped himself well, at times using every limb he had to prevent a goal. In the seventy-fifth minute Hawking Town equalised from a a corner struck low and hard to the edge of the six yard box that Alteirac just failed to block.


Both sides were expecting a draw and it looked the likely result until the final minutes when confusion at the back gave Hawkinge Town a last chance to whip in a long ball to the far post that Ide Hill failed to deal with and they paid the price.

Ide Hill 3 Deal Community Sports 3

Kent County League Division One East

5 September, 2015


Ide Hill’s experience and resilience was needed as they overturned a two nil deficit to take a deserved point from a game they will be disappointed to have drawn.


In their first game of the new campaign Ide Hill played host to Deal Community Sports, who have noticeably improved since these two teams met last season. There was an element of casualness from both sides as they looked to take early control of the game and rushed their chances.


Deal Community Sports’ tactic became clear soon enough and they set their pattern for the match by happily hitting long balls with the aim of out-running Ide Hill’s back four and by-passing their midfield, who they struggled to contain throughout the ninety minutes.


For the most part Ide Hill absorbed the pressure well and played their usual style of close passing, good running off the ball and pressing play but although they had the share of possession they never threatened in the final third.


Deal’s long ball tactic continued and if you play it often enough a chance will come and on the stroke of thirty minutes it paid off as for once they broke through Ide Hill’s offside trap to run on to a ball launched from midfield to hit home.


Football is not a kind game as Ide Hill defender Charlie James will appreciate. In open play and under no pressure he passed the ball to an unbelieving Deal striker who willingly took it on and scored. Two goals in two minutes and Ide Hill two nil down!


Rather than build on their good fortune Deal Community Sports imploded as Ide Hill finally got a grip on the game. In midfield John MacDonald and Craig Jackson dominated, driving chances for Columb Grant on the left wing and George Kensell on the right.


Deal reached badly and vented their anger at each other and the referee who had to caution several of their players. Ide Hill’s central defensive pairing of James and new captain Philippe Alteirac found their form and both full-backs pushed up to add pressure as Ide Hill created chances.


With five minutes to go left back Rob Piper hit a through ball to Jackson who split the Deal defence with a pass that found strike Seb Christopers’ just outside the right side of the penalty box. He controlled it well and despite the defensive pressure he was under hit an arrowed shot low, pass the Deal keeper.


At half time Luke Steggle replaced right midfielder Kensell who was feeling feint. Ide Hill’s agreed plan for the second half was to apply greater pressure to Deal’s back four and bring striker Shaun Boyle, who normally plays on the wing but was covering for missing leading scorer Tom Wright, more into the game.


Within five minutes the score was level. Christophers cut across the penalty area right to left and although not malicious he was brought down leaving the referee with an easy decision to make. Jackson made no mistake levelling the score with a well struck penalty the keeper had no chance to stop.


The game opened up again with a flurry of long balls from Deal, several offside calls and growing frustration as they failed to create any meaningful chances. Ide Hill settled into their stride and had several opportunities to score from spot-kicks and open play. It was Christopers who completed Ide Hill’s come back with his second well taken goal fifteen minutes from the end.


What followed was a passage of play that should have seen Ide Hill add to their score with Alteirac missing a clear chance and Boyle’s shot thwarted by the Deal keeper to name two.


Against the run of play Deal took advantage of sloppy defending to pull back a goal and despite their attempts in the final five minutes Ide Hill failed to score and had to settle for a point.


Both teams will be encouraged by their start. They were in form, fit and well organised, albeit in Deal’s case ill-disciplined, and can look forward to a good season.

About Ide Hill FC

Ide Hill FC are a charter standard club who play in the Kent County League and the Sevenoaks & District League. They were formed in 1923 and became an affiliated member of the FA in 1924. The football club's home pitch is located behind The Cock Inn pub in the picturesque village of Ide Hill and is reported to be the highest football pitch in Kent. 

Tweets from idehillfc @idehillfc
Print Print | Sitemap Recommend this page Recommend this page
© Sevenoaks Sports Publishing 2015