The Official home of Ide Hill Football Club
The Official home of Ide Hill Football Club
Home of Ide Hill Football Club - A Charter Standard Club
Home of Ide Hill Football Club - A Charter Standard Club

2011 News Archive

For the 2011 news archive, please use the navigation menu on the left.

Sevenoaks & District Premier League

  P W D L F A GD Pts
(C) Nomads 21 15 2 5 69 42 27 44
Ide Hill 21 13 3 5 47 32 15 42
Ightham 21 11 2 8 70 45 25 35
Potters 21 10 2 9 43 54 -11 32
Eynsford 21 8 4 9 50 47 3 28
Borough Green United 21 7 3 11 48 52 -4 24
St Lawrence 21 6 1 14 42 67 -25 19
Kemsing United 21 6 1 14 37 67 -30 19

Sevenoaks & District League Division Three

  P W D L F A GD Pts
(C) Ide Hill Reserves 18 15 2 1 70 26 44 47
(P) Chipstead B 18 13 2 3 66 24 42 41
Sevenoaks Weald Reserves 18 11 1 6 52 42 10 34
Ightham Reserves 18 10 1 7 42 33 9 31
Tonbridge Baptist Church Reserves 18 9 4 5 43 37 6 31
Borough Green 18 9 3 6 42 30 12 30
AW London 18 7 2 9 36 39 -3 23
Seal A 18 4 1 13 18 51 -33 13
Nomads Reserves 18 3 0 15 25 60 -35 9
Wilderpark Reserves 18 1 0 17 15 67 -52 3

A season in review 2011/12


At the start of the season the announcement came that the ‘old guard’ were to be running the teams for the next 10 months. Keith McGinn and Wally Paxton were to jointly run the first team, whilst Baz Pennells was to take charge of the newly refurbished reserve team, and what a season we were in for. The first team started well in pre-season with a 7-0 win over FC Valour, Nick Capon scoring a hatrick and Andy Rudden a brace. The self-proclaimed ‘General Dread’ took the reserves off to Clapham to play FC Cubo, however they went down 3-1 with a very poor performance. Onwards!


The next couple of weekends saw more friendly matches with the first team recording a 5-1 win over Borough Green then an 8-1 thrashing away to Wilderpark. The reserves continued with mixed results, beating Kemsing Reserves in a close fought 5-4 victory, then securing an impressive 2-2 draw with Real Mayo. There were new faces all over, one being Craig Holder, who has surprisingly kept very quiet about his bung after moving to the Hill from Chipstead!


The league kicked off on September 17 and both teams took all three points from their opposition. Ightham were no match for a vibrant Ide Hill as they went down 3-1. The reserves, welcoming back the Cornwell brothers along with the new additions of Daryl Rose, Chris Thomas and Sam Coleman, beat Borough Green Reserves 6-2.


With the first week out of the way and with the new website up and running courtesy of Steve Rowley, the new media secretary, we all looked forward to the next meeting on September 24. The reserves were up for the task at hand that presented itself in the form of Sevenoaks Weald Reserves, putting 12 past their goalkeeper with absolutely now response to test Jimmy Everett. Chris Thomas got four goals and a second half hatrick came from Dave Hammal. The first team went to Borough Green and brought home a point for their efforts.


Goalscorers in September: James Asplin, Nick Capon (2), Sam Coleman (3), Billy Cornwell, Rob Giddins (2), Dave Hammal (3), Simon Lewis, Baz Pennells, Nick Scott and Chris Thomas (6).



The reserves continued their high scoring antics into October with wins against Tonbridge Baptist Church, Ightham Reserves and Chipstead B. Only a draw away at AW London ruined an otherwise 100% record for the month. The first team did just as well recording four wins out of five with a solitary loss at home to Nomads. In the month of October they beat St Lawrence, Eynsford, Kemsing United and Potters, with the new faces of Craig Jackson and Columb Grant having a great impact in the midfield.


The reserves match away to Ightham Reserves was the highlight of the month, because as Baz stated at the time, “after 16 years, which equates to approx. 352 games, or 528 hours, or 31,680 minutes, or 1,900,800 seconds, Chico scored!” Yes that’s right, Richard Spencer had finally managed to get his name on the scoresheet at the right end of the pitch! However, since the Chronicle has stopped writing league reports, his name would unfortunately not get into print! Until now!


November came as quickly as October had gone! The first team had unfortunately lost their stride though and went down 8-1 to Ightham, whom we had beaten on the first day of the season. However they picked themselves up recording a draw away at Potters before playing Potters again the following week, winning 4-2 in the cup! The reserves successfully navigated their way past Sevenoaks Weald Reserves, Nomads Reserves (twice) and Farnborough Old Boys Guild, netting no less than 21 times, with Chris getting 8.


Goalscorers in October: Shaun Boyle (2), Nick Capon (6), Solomon Christen, Sam Coleman (2), James Cooke, Billy Cornwell, Craig Holder, George Kensell, Baz Pennells (2), Andy Rudden (2), Nick Scott, Richard Spencer and Chris Thomas (6).


Goalscorers in November: Shaun Boyle, Nick Capon (4), Sam Coleman (2), Columb Grant (2), Dave Hammal, Craig Jackson, Baz Pennells, Andy Rudden, Dean Taylor (2), Chris Thomas (8) and Joe Worden (5).



Mad, mad, mad, mad December! With only three weekends before Christmas, was this to be the pivotal point of the season? On the first weekend, both teams had to endure cup matches that went into extra time, the first team going out 7-6 on penalties to Kingsdown Racers and the reserves winning 6-4 against Nomads Reserves (for the third time in four weeks!)


On the second weekend pre-Christmas, the reserves had a rest and a day out in Ditton watching the first team hold out to win in the cup against Borough Green. This was to be Mike McKay’s victory, as he kept out a shot in the dying seconds, which would surely have taken this tie into extra-time, however it took us into the final instead.


Saturday 17 December, a day that may go down in the record books as the day we messed it up! The first team unable to get a team together forfeited their match away at Kemsing United, surrendering three points, which would prove to be vital come the end of the season. The reserves match (which probably should have been the one to be cancelled) went ahead against Chipstead B in the semi-final of the Smiths Cup. Unfortunately the reserves went down 3-1, and we’ll never know what would have been!


New Years came and went without even a glimmer of a Smith’s Cup Final (see May). 2012 was here and we were in the mood to push forward. Both teams however started slowly and for the first team, results were once again hard to come by. A draw with Nomads, a win at Eynsford and a loss at St Lawrence gave the first team four out of a possible nine points. The match against St Lawrence a real highlight in Steve’s managerial career after Keith and Wally had shot off to Brighton for the weekend! No sooner had he substituted the old and tiring George Heath with James Cook, should Cooky be walking back off the pitch after a run in with a ginger and Tom Reddick! I think everyone knows the rest of the story so I will spare Cooky his blushes! Steve McGinn also made his debut this day!


The reserves recorded two more league wins against Ightham Reserves and Borough Green but were unable to upset Wilderpark first team when they went down 0-1 at home in the Sevenoaks Charity Cup. This was in extra time and also an own goal, and also in the 119th minute! My apologies to Nick Scott, but I had to write this bit!


It was also around about this time when Mike Perry was struck down with a mysterious virus, we wished him all the best and a speedy recovery, which he made and returned shortly afterwards.


Goalscorers in December: Nick Capon, Callum Heath, Rob Giddins, Chris Thomas (5), Joe Watfa and Joe Worden.


Goalscorers in January: Shaun Boyle, Nick Capon (2), Columb Grant, Craig Jackson, George Kensell (2), Jimmy Phillips, Andy Rudden (2), Chris Thomas (6).



The snow fell and matches were called off all over the league, except for any Potters home matches, but this didn’t dent the club’s ambitions of having two teams finishing top of their respective leagues. The reserves again had a tough match away to Chipstead B, finishing the match with a point after a 3-3 draw before going on whoop Wilderpark 6-3. The first team were back to winning ways in their only match in February, defeating Borough Green 3-0 at home.


Ide Hill Legend Danny Miles, celebrated the month of February on the 17th with the birth of his son Samuel John Miles. Uncle Chico and Danny’s partner Jules, were also in a celebratory mood.


The snow had finally finished, or so we thought, but there was enough heat to warm up the ground for five weekends of football in March. However, on March 10, we managed to record the only weekend of the entire season where both teams would lose. The first team went down 2-0 away at Eynsford (they really need to level that pitch at some point) and the shock of the day came when the reserves lost at home to AW London 3-1.


The first team took this as a wake-up call and registered three back-to-back victories to finish the month with a bang. In the process they discarded St Lawrence, Kemsing United and St Lawrence once more! The reserves on the other hand went to Dunton Green in the cup and lost 4-3, Simon Lewis having an especially bad day I am told, before going on to narrowly beat Wilderpark Reserves at home 4-3.


This was pretty much the title clincher for the reserves, although there were still a few more matches to be played.


Goalscorers in February: Ryan Cornwell, Craig Holder, George Kensell (2), Tom Mitchell, Baz Pennells (2), Jimmy Phillips, Dean Taylor and Chris Thomas (3).


Goalscorers in March: Nick Capon (3), Sam Coleman, Rob Giddins, Matthew Higginson (2), Craig Holder, Baz Pennells and Chris Thomas (8).



April came with a shower of hope for the first team. First up, a cup semi-final at home to Nomads, where we matched them in every single department on the field, Steve Smith having another one of his frustrating days. Unfortunately the match was to be decided on penalties and of all people to step up and miss Nick Capon will always be remembered on that day. They followed this match with an away win at Borough Green and two superb home victories against Nomads and Ightham, putting them top of the table for the final leg.


The reserves secured the third division championship on Saturday 14 April with an impressive final game against Tonbridge Baptist Church, running out 4-0 winners! The champagne was opened and the club’s best behaviour obviously followed! Well done to all the lads involved!


With the first trophy of the season in the bag, next came the premiership title decided! We had three chances of silverware, first was the league, then the Smiths Senior Cup, finished off with the most important of all, The Yuk Cup!


Potters away! On that pitch? Brilliant, we love a flat surface! 6-0 winners in the first’s final game of the season, which had them leading the table by four points! Then the news that Nomads had got three points away at Ightham meant the gap had closed to one point. Unfortunately, Nomads last game had been postponed and the league awarded them the points after Potters failed to get a side out! Oh well, second place it is!


Next up was the Smiths Senior Cup final, and Ide Hill were out to revenge their league title loss. A restructured side, due to some overlooked rules at the league, went to the field and fought with all they had! And it worked, finishing the match 3-2 victors, thanks to a last minute clearance from Romain Duchon! “Wally Paxton’s black and white army!” We also have to congratulate those who didn’t make it on to the pitch that day as well, these included Joe Watfa, Andy Rudden, Nigel Jeffrey and Baz Pennells.


Season over and time for the tour to Newcastle! Now remember what goes on tour stays on tour! Well not this year! We took the Yuk Cup up to Consett via executive coach and we brought it home again! 5-4 winners on the day which looked like a real battle out there! Well done lads!


Goalscorers in April: Nick Capon (2), Billy Cornwell, Ryan Cornwell, Mick Gregory, Dave Lansley, Chris Thomas (5) and Joe Watfa.


Goalscorers in May: Nick Capon (2), James Cooke, George Kensell (2), Andy Rudden and Chris Thomas (3). 


So there you have it! We secured the Smiths Senior Cup, we won the third division championship and we brought home the Yuk Cup! You wouldn’t have said no to that in August now would you! It has been an absolute pleasure getting to know all you guys and also letting me write about you every week!


Let’s see what 2012/13 has in store for us! Kent County Division 2 champions?


Steve Rowley, Ide Hill FC media secretary


About Ide Hill FC

Ide Hill FC are a charter standard club who play in the Kent County League and the Sevenoaks & District League. They were formed in 1923 and became an affiliated member of the FA in 1924. The football club's home pitch is located behind The Cock Inn pub in the picturesque village of Ide Hill and is reported to be the highest football pitch in Kent. 

Tweets from idehillfc @idehillfc
Print Print | Sitemap Recommend this page Recommend this page
© Sevenoaks Sports Publishing 2015