The Official home of Ide Hill Football Club
The Official home of Ide Hill Football Club
Home of Ide Hill Football Club - A Charter Standard Club
Home of Ide Hill Football Club - A Charter Standard Club

Reserve team match reports

Ide Hill Reserves 6    Saint Lawerence Reserves 2


17 September, 2016


BY Ben Buhagiar


Ide Hill Reserves welcomed Saint Lawrence Reserves to Wrotham School 3G pitch for the 2nd league feature of the season. With new manager Billy Cornwell absent, veteran and team captain Nick Capon took charge for the day. 

The reserves kicked off in an unfamiliar 352 formation and took their time to get a grip of the game. It was a scrappy first half performance from both teams and Ide Hill were struggling to string more than 2 passes together but against the run of play they took the lead through a Dean Taylor goal. Moments later centre back George Winstone delivered a free kick into box for Sam Coleman to calmly take down on his chest and spectacularly volley into the net making the score 2-0. The first half ended with the visitors claiming a goal back as goal keeper Charlie Bush let slip of a direct free kick and allowing Saint Lawrence back into the game. The first half ended 2-1, which flattered the home team with an unimpressive performance. 

Stand in manager Nick Capon made a tactical change at half time and reverted to a traditional 4411 formation. Ben Buhagiar came on at left back for Dave Lansley and Nathan came on for Dean Taylor to take up the right wing position. 
Early into the half left back Ben Buhagiar intercepted a ball in the 18 yard box but instead of simply clearing the ball, he ridiculously opted to dribble across his own box, taking on the opposition striker, losing the ball and giving away a penalty. Comparisons to Titus Bramble were mentioned around the ground. Despite the goal keepers best efforts, the opposition were back into the match with the score at 2-2. 

Thankfully minutes later through some skilful dribbling from striker Nick Capon, Ide Hill were back in the lead with the score at 3-2. It didn't take long for the home team to increase their lead through some quick passing down the left flank with Ben Buhagiar, James Cooke, Andy Rudden and new addition Raj Phull linking up nicely for Nathan to slot home. 
Ide Hill continued to pile forward and soon got a fifth goal through Nick Capon beating the keeper again and in the final minutes of the match, Sam Coleman cushioned down a header for Andy Rudden to volley into the net. 

The final score finished 6-2 to Ide Hill reserves which was a well deserved victory. Special mentions to new central midfield Raj Phull who took to the game well and a man of the match performance from George Winstone who controlled the defence.

Southborough Res 3 v Ide Hill Res 2

21/11/2015 Kick Off 14:00

Ide Hill reserves travelled away to Southborough after no fixture the previous week due to the international break. With an injury list as long as our goal scorers, Ide Hill kicked off with K.Draper, B.Buhagiar, P.Dance-Harvey, D.Butterworth, S.Miles, L.Beaumont, J.Carvey, A.Mayers, T.Gibbs, D.Taylor, N.Capon. The only sub was S.Lewis.

Captain Capon won the toss and chose to play into the gale force winds in the first half. It was a difficult game of football in first 15 minutes as the wind dictated which direction the ball would go in. Ide Hill had the better of the first half opportunities and soon took the lead through Capon as he dribbled the ball around the keeper and slotted into an empty net. The first half finished 0-1 to Ide Hill.

As the second half kicked off the wind settled down and there was no real advantage to be had. Southborough looked energised from the break and took the game to the opposition. They tested keeper Draper who pulled off some great saves, however football can be a cruel game. After such fine form from Draper, Southborough took a shot which travelled through the legs of the keeper. The score was now 1-1.
It was turning into a familiar story for Ide Hill, dominating a large portion of the first half, but letting the opposition back into the game later on. Southborough soon took the lead from a counter attack, seeing the score go 2-1 in their favour. 

Hill quickly kicked into gear and began playing football. Taylor, Miles, Capon, Carvey and Gibbs started creating chances and giving the opposition something to think about. With the clock counting down you could see the frustration from the players as chances were going wide or straight at the keeper.

With Southborough not allowing the away team into the 18 yard box, Carvey took an ambitious shot from 25 yards out which flew into the back of the net making it 2-2 with only 5 minutes remaining in the match.

Disappointingly that wouldn't be the final goal in the match as Southborough piled forward and scored agonisingly late in match. The final score - Southborough reserves 3-2 Ide Hill reserves.

Ide Hill Reserves 4 v Otford (3rd) 3

10/10/2015 Kick Off 14:00  

Venue – Camberwell Lane


In the pre-match press conference, reporters examined Ide Hill reserves recent inability to kill off games. In the last 3 matches they had dominated large portions of the game but failed to secure a victory. Otford (3rd) would be travelling to the famous Camberwell Lane venue for the fifth league fixture of the season. There was mounting pressure on manager James Asplin to secure the team’s first win of the season. Asplin was quoted as saying “the boys had showed great character but needed to take more chances in the final third”.


The only change to the starting line up was Chris Newhouse coming in for the absent Romain Duchon. Ide Hill reserves kicked off with (K.Walker, B.Buhagiar, P.Dance-Harvey, C.Newhouse, S.Miles, D.Taylor, J.Carvey, T.Gibbs, A.Rudden, L.Steggle, N.Capon). The home team started with a high tempo and very much on the front foot. Midfield playmaker Carvey was controlling the game early on and spraying the ball around to wingers Steggle and Taylor. The first goal came from a deep Carvey free kick with Rudden heading the ball on for a goal line scramble and Capon safely putting the ball into the net from a few yards out. There was much relief from the home crowd to see the striker on the score sheet early on. 
Against the run of play Otford equalised minutes later with Carvey losing the ball on the half way line and the away team breaking forward to make the score 1-1.


Ide Hill didn’t drop their heads and immediately went looking for more goals. On the right hand side of the final third, Carvey launched a long throw into the box which winger Steggle took under control and looked to turn to goal and shoot. An Otford defender knocked the winger to the floor which looked a certain penalty but the referee allowed play to continue as the ball fell to full back Miles who seemed oblivious to the penalty appeal as he smashed the ball into the net making it 2-1. 
Soon after Capon made it 3-1 with a classic left foot strike on the 18-yard line which curved into the Otford keepers bottom right corner.
In the final 10 minutes of the half Otford gained more of the possession and started to take the game to the home team. Otford launched a long ball forward, which centre half Dance-Harvey failed to fully clear and the Otford striker surged forward scoring his second goal of the match. The referee shortly blew his whistle for half time with the score 3-2 to the home team.


Manager Asplin had a strong bench at his disposal with L.Beaumont, R.Callow, D.Thompson, D.Lansley and C.Essam. Beaumont and Callow both started the second half after being absent the previous week due to "headaches". Early in the second half the referee bizarrely awarded a penalty to Otford due to Newhouse apparently handling the ball. The Otford striker already had 2 goals to his name and slotted the ball into the net to secure his hat-trick, making the score 3-3.
Although letting slip a 2 goal lead, Ide Hill player’s heads remained high and the team flowed forward several times looking to score. Rudden came close connecting with an in-swinging corner but failed to hit the target, as did Dance-Harvey who was unable to replicate his magnificent training ground shooting.

D.Thompson replaced Carvey at the 65-minute mark in midfield. This was Thompson’s first appearance of the season after transfer speculation linking him with a move away in the summer. Shortly after the change Ide Hill won a free kick on the edge of the box. Steggle and Capon both hovered over the ball but it was Steggle who took the shot. Disappointingly the winger failed to hit the target and the ball had to be recovered from a residential property’s garden several roads away.
Chance after chance there was anxiety on the touchline as once again Ide Hill reserves were failing to take their chances. On the 78th minute the home team surged forward on the left hand side with Miles running the ball to the bar line and crossing to Callow who calmly side footed the ball into the net making the score 4-3. Otford still wouldn’t settle for a loss and caused Ide Hill problems late on with a spectacular 50 yard shot which hit the cross bar. 
As full time approached there was still to be one final attack as Capon applied pressure to the Otford defence, winning the ball back and breaking through in attack. Capon sprinted in on goal opting to pass the ball inside to Essam who only had the keeper to beat but the ball rattled the cross bar.
The referee shortly marked the end of the game with Ide Hill deservedly winning the match 4-3.

Potters FC 3 v Ide Hill Reserves 1

Craske & Wells Memorial Trophy 1st Round

Potters FC vs Ide Hill reserves
Kick off 1.30pm
Venue - Potters Mede


With Ide Hill reserves looking for their first win of the season, they arrived at Potters with a thirst for victory in the Craske & Wells Memorial Trophy cup competition. Squad selection was quite the contrary compared to the previous week with 3 players dropping out of the squad at the last minute, none the less manager James Asplin had a resilient squad of 13 at his disposal. On a well-laid pitch which EverGreen would be proud of, the match kicked off at 13:30 with a starting team of (K.Walker, B.Buhagiar, P.Dance-Harvey, R.Duchon, S.Miles, D.Taylor, J.Carvey, T.Gibbs, A.Rudden, L.Steggle, N.Capon). It was a ponderous start for Ide Hill giving the ball away from kick-off and allowing the home team an early effort on goal that failed to hit the target. Ide Hill grew into the match and soon began to take control. Gibbs controlled the midfield breaking up every Potters attack, skilfully retaining the ball and calmly releasing to a teammate in a better position. Miles and Steggle rekindled their relationship from the previous match, linking up numerous times of the left flank and flowing forward into attack where Steggle would bring Capon into play looking to break the deadlock.


Potter’s efforts in the first half were reduced to counter attacks where the Ide Hill defence forced them to shoot from distance with many shots sailing over the goal or being forced out for corners. Potters were able to connect on the end of a lofted in corner but yet again the ball went out of play for a goal kick. 
In the latter part of the first half, Carvey received the ball on the edge of the opposition 18 yard line, proceeded to turn to face goal but was forcefully taken down and the referee blew for a penalty. Capon stepped up for the spot kick and powerfully placed the ball low and hard to the keeper’s right, which gave Ide Hill a well-deserved lead. A.Mayers then replaced the injured Carvey in central midfield.
Minutes later Ide should have doubled their lead when Taylor fed the ball into Rudden on the right hand side, hitting a well struck cross into box, Capon expertly ran over the ball for left winger Steggle to take a touch but the wingers shot flew over the goal. Ide Hill went into the changing room at half time with the lion’s share of possession a well-deserved 1-0 lead.


The opposition kicked off the second half and immediately looked to attack down their right hand side but once again Potter’s striker was unable to test Ide Hill’s keeper Walker. The goalkeeper was the fourth person to wear the number one jersey this season. Ide Hill enjoyed much of the possession in the first 10 minutes of the second half but never convincingly tested the opposition keeper. Ide Hill would rue their missed chances as the tide had turned and centre backs Dance-Harvey and Duchon were put under immense pressure in the last 30 minutes of the match. Potters had changed formation to a 3-5-2 and were increasingly attacking the away team. Potters broke through on their right hand side whipping the ball into the box and their striker directing the ball into goal, it looked a certain goal yet defensive midfielder Mayers had other ideas, sprinting back to clear the ball off the line.

It was to be more of the same from Potters as they continued to feed the ball down the flanks and create chances on goal. The defence eventually tired and Potters equalised with 20 minutes remaining. Carvey was substituted back into the match for Capon and took up the position of lone striker, whilst S.Coleman slotted into midfield for Gibbs who had an excellent match but was suffering from a reoccurring ankle injury. 
With Ide not looking for extra time, they pushed on looking to reclaim their lead through Carvey. The striker had a few good chances but Potters forced the striker to shoot from outside the box. With Ide Hill pushing on for the winning goal, they were exposed at the back and Potters took a lead of 2-1. With only 10 minutes remaining Capon came back on for the injured Miles. The away team were now pushing on even more looking for an equaliser to force extra time and switched to a 3-4-3 formation with only minutes to go.


In the dying minutes of the match Ide Hill won a corner; with this likely to be the last attack of the match, the entire team filled the box including the goalkeeper. Surprisingly to both teams, Carvey played a short corner to Capon on the corner of the penalty area who looked to spin the Potter’s defender.  The striker looked to have been fouled as he stumbled to the ground; Ide Hill protested for a penalty but controversially the referee waived play on and Potters broke through to attack. With goalkeeper and several defenders sprinting back to defend, Potters slotted the ball into the back of the net to make it 3-1 and the referee shortly signalled the end of the match.


After dominating the match for the first 60 minutes and battling so well against a team two divisions above Ide Hill, it was a difficult defeat to accept. Ide Hill reserves are at home to Otford (3rd) next week which promises to be an enticing encounter as both teams look for their first win of the season.   

Orpington (3rd) 1 v Ide Hill Reserves 1

Saturday 26th September 2015, 14:00 KO
Venue: Goddington Park
Crowd attendance: 7


It's been a difficult start to the season for Ide Hill reserves who were looking for their first win of the season. With 1 point out of a possible 9, they travelled away to Orpington 3rd team looking for 3 points. Orpington had respectively achieved 3 wins out of 3 and were sitting at the top of the table. Manager J.Asplin had some difficult pre-match squad selection decisions to make. With 19 players expected he had the difficult decision of turning players away in the warm up. Out of those 19 players available, there wasn't a natural goal keeper among them. Regular keeper K.Draper was away on international duty in Cyprus, so D.Lansley kindly stepped up to fill the void in the goal. 
With a starting team of (D.Lansley, L.Beaumont, C.Newhouse, J.Sims, S.Miles, R.Callow, J.Carvey, A.Rudden, B.Harris, L.Steggle, N.Capon)  the matched kicked off at 2pm on a small pitch, uneven grass and a missing goal line. The first 10 minutes were a tough battle with neither side creating an attack on goal. In a changed centre back partnership Sims and Newhouse were solid at the back, not allowing the opposition a sniff at goal early on. At the 20minute mark veteran striker Capon had the best chance of the first half, latching onto a through ball and unleashing a left footed strike on goal. It wasn't to be for Capon as the ball rattled the cross bar from 8 yards out. 
At 25minutes into the match Steggle and Miles linked up nicely on the left hand side, Miles cutting in on his right and shooting from 30 yards out; it was a well hit strike but didn't trouble the keeper as it sailed over the goal.

Soon after, manager Asplin made a tactical change bringing on B.Pennells for Capon. This was Pennells' first appearance of the season and he looked lively early on holding the ball up well and allowing midfielders Rudden and Callow to flow forward and attack. Another great chance fell to Callow who broke through on the right hand side with an option to pass the ball inside to Pennells or take a shot on goal himself, Callow took the latter option but was unable to test the keeper. 
Carvey and Harris hustled well in the midfield often breaking up play and Lansley remained largely untested in goal as the referee blew his whistle for half time. Despite Ide Hill securing most of the first half possession and having several attacks on goal, the match remained 0-0. The team huddled together at half time and listened to manager Asplin pass on Guardiola style tactical instructions. In his second appearance for the club Beaumont had a faultless first half looking very solid but was substituted for B.Buhagiar making his first appearance of the season after recovering from a pre-season injury.

The second half kicked off with Ide Hill looking sharp and eager to break the deadlock. At the 55 minute mark Ide Hill delivered an in-swinging corner where the Orpington keeper thumbled the ball, allowing Rudden to calmly put into the net.

D.Taylor then replaced Callow on the right of midfield, who didn't take long to put the ball into back of the net but was deemed off-side. R.Duchon then replaced Carvey in midfield taking up the holding role allowing Harris to move further forward. 
For a fifteen minute spell Orpington put the opposition under the cosh looking for an equaliser. The back four soaked up the pressure and seemed at ease with the situation, defending several free kicks and deep corners. Stand in goal keeper Lansley still didn't have a serious save to make. 
At the 75th minute after a succession of Orpington attacks they won a corner and eventually forced an equaliser heading the ball into the net.

Ide Hill didn't want to settle for a point and  went looking for a winning goal. A reenergised Capon came back on for Pennalls who released a powerful shot in the dying minutes of the match which was deflected and fell to the feet of Buhagiar. The full backs shot skimmed wide of the post and the referee blew his whistle for full time with the final score 1-1.


The match felt like a loss to Ide Hill reserves after dominating for the first 60 minutes, however they can take many positives from the match. The reserves have only conceded 1 goal in 180 minutes of football after initially conceding 10 in their opening two matches. The team go away to Potters in a cup match next week where once again there will be a strong squad available. Hopefully the team will bring their striking boots and quoting Newhouse "the worm will turn". 

About Ide Hill FC

Ide Hill FC are a charter standard club who play in the Kent County League and the Sevenoaks & District League. They were formed in 1923 and became an affiliated member of the FA in 1924. The football club's home pitch is located behind The Cock Inn pub in the picturesque village of Ide Hill and is reported to be the highest football pitch in Kent. 

Tweets from idehillfc @idehillfc
Print Print | Sitemap Recommend this page Recommend this page
© Sevenoaks Sports Publishing 2015